2013년 2월 18일 월요일

Korean Quirks Vol. 1

Since today was a pretty typical day at orientation, I thought I would whip out my notes that I've been taking and just talk about some of the funny things that I've seen or that have happened. And yes, I've really been documenting all of these strange things in my phone so I wouldn't forget them. There are so many, it's impossible to keep up! This is mostly going to be a huge list of the reasons I love Korea and some cultural things I've picked up on. It's so interesting to me! Enjoy!

  • In my previous post, I mentioned that Seoul is the city that never sleeps. It's still true, but some things that I learned last weekend helped me to understand why. In the States most bars and clubs close at 2am. In Seoul, most don't close until 8am. Subways on the other hand close at midnight and open up again about 7am. That means one of two things: either you go out and party, and plan to be home by midnight OR you stay out until 7am and take the first subway home. With what I witnessed this weekend at 4am in the morning, I'm going to say most people choose option number two. Partying doesn't even really start until around midnight or later. So crazy! This also explains why 99% of the people on subways and buses are sleeping between stops. haha
  • Most doors in Korea are sliding doors that you would think would be automatic doors, but you have to push a button to make them open. It doesn't sound that weird, but it is! And it gets a little strange when you are walking towards one and it doesn't stop closing when it should be sensing your motion. It gets even more awkward when you don't realize the button to open the door is in fact a button and that you have to push it to get through the glass door. It's disguise really well. Here is a picture, but you can't really tell. lol Look closely to the left there is a rectangular box thing and that's what you push to get in the door! 

This picture sucks, I apologize. I'll get a better one eventually! 
  • Wearing shoes inside homes, schools and even most restaurants is forbidden. This isn't all that crazy, and I'm sure most of you already know that, but what I found odd was in the Subway station. There were bums with cardboard box houses along the sides of the walls and they all took off their shoes before getting into their "home". It is just neat to me that that cultural aspect is still so strong, that even though they don't have a real home, they still take off their shoes.
That's all for now. I'm sleepy and have another day of orientation lectures and lesson planning to do tomorrow. Only 3 more days in Jochi and then it's off to my real home in Jeonbuk! I can't wait to get there and see what it's like. 

-Kyla


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기